Monday, December 10, 2012

Waiting, waiting, waiting...

I hate airports. Well, not really hate the airports themselves, but I hate waiting at them. Especially alone with lots of luggage to drag around. Note to self: purchase carry-on luggage that has 4 wheels that can change direction. My current rolling carry-on luggage, is of the 2-wheeled, single direction kind. But my new RED luggage has the awesome multi-directional 4 wheels... Its just a little big for carry-on, otherwise, I'd definitely be dragging it around Sea-Tac.

So. I definitely have too much time on my hands. Unfortunately, the layover here is almost 5 hours long... Arg. What to do with myself? Oh, I know. I'll blog about the most boring topic ever. Luggage. Just kidding. The most boring topic ever is probably about dust (no idea).

Right now I feel a little lost, a little annoyed, and a little excited. I was going to blog about the reason(s) I am going to work in South Korea... But I don't think I can clearly verbalize the answer to that. While I have answered quite a few people who have asked me that with true answers, I was never quite satisfied that the answer I gave was complete and built clear understanding. Strangely enough, these last few weeks preparing to leave, the biggest concern for me was to make sure everyone understood why I made this decision. I think it's because I think everyone's first reaction to this decision is generally one or more of the following (in any order, in any degree): Do you have family there? Oh, so you've got birthfamily there and that's why you're going. So you don't like your adoptive family, so you're going to try and get a different family and abandoning this one. I never want anyone to believe any of the above. While, it is partly true I do want to get to know my birth family more, it is DEFINITELY not the main reason I'm going. Nor was it a significant factor in my decision at all. It is, however, an added bonus.

My adoptive family is the best. They are... well, home. They are secure in the fact that I love them, and that I know that they love me. My mom is still the person I go running to when I have a problem, my dad is still the person I go to get things fixed, and my siblings I go to for advice. They are open and kind. In fact, my mom and I have had some pretty deep conversations over the past couple of years, and I'm still learning new things. I just learned why she always wanted me to call her "mom" (as opposed to her name, and why I do that is a whole different story that I may tell later). To her, it was important that peole know that she was my mom, since people aren't likely to know on their own. It doesn't mean we have a perfect family. We have our ups and downs. But that is how we grow as people and as a family. As an aside, I specified adoptive just to make sure that it's understood, but generally speaking, I refer to my adoptive family as just my family and to my birth family as ... well, my birth family.

Well, I wrote more than I intended to. But I still have time to spare... Maybe I will go shopping... O_O

And did I mention I hate waiting at airports?

No comments:

Post a Comment