Yes, today it snowed in Seoul. Not hard, but since it snowed practically all day it put a little of the white stuff on the streets. Like Montana, doesn't change much, but I do find it slightly funny that a lot of people use umbrellas even for this light snow. When I came back from my "journey" today, there were several umbrellas drying outside the rooms.
So its been a little while since I last wrote. I don't remember exactly when the last time I wrote was, but not much has changed here. Oh, but I finally found the nearby E-mart mall (think similar to the small Walmart... well it used to be small), just bought a wireless router today and have been reveling in its use. It took me about an hour to figure out how to get it to work though, not because it was that difficult to set up, but the instructions were all in korean, the company is korean, and the installation disc they gave me was a mini-CD... and my laptop can't read it... :( Anyway, I did finally figure it out. Yay!
Previously, I couldn't use any apps on my new smart phone that needed data or wi-fi. Since Oppa is paying for it (and once I start my job I'm going to try and ask if I can start paying for it... but I don't know if that's going to be rude or not...) I don't want to over use the data, so I just don't use it at all. Which unfortunately means I can't message people using Kakaotalk (basically IM or text messages in Korea, just about everyone uses it). So when I'm in my room, people can email me or call me, but can't message me. We often do group dinners, and everyone is in the Kakaochat... except me when I'm in my room. So this will be much more convenient. I don't have to go out to the lobby for wifi... LOL.
Let's see... Today is Friday and the last day of classes for a while. Tuesday through today we have had Korean classes and then I've taught on two days. Normally I teach four days of the week (Monday through Thursday), but this week, I had Monday and Wednesday off since Monday was orientation/moving and Wednesday was election day. So I only taught on Tuesday and Thursday. Tuesday's teaching didn't go well, but since I got my new plug for my laptop and was able to prepare a powerpoint, the class yesterday went much better.
Thoughts on teaching so far? These kids are amazing. I don't know how many non-English words I knew when I was 4-7, but it wasn't much. These kids know their own alphabet (hangul) PLUS our alphabet PLUS names of animals, colors, and numbers. Some kids could count up to 20, and probably more than that, but I didn't go any farther. But they are pretty amazing. Especially compared to me, who is struggling learning hangul. If I knew hangul, I think I would be having an easier time in class. I have no problem learning vocabulary, but WRITING and READING it... blah.
I really want to put a whole bunch of pictures on here, but I won't so you don't have to sit there waiting for them to load. Instead, I'm going to leave you with this: a picture of my most recent trip to E-mart (이마트). There was a lot of things (although not as much as Walmart or Target) but most of the store was dedicated to groceries. I'm guessing this is because this wasn't an actual E-mart store. It was a smaller E-mart "mall".... I think anyway. I didn't see any other floors for E-mart and I found everything I needed... so I didn't care. Anyway. They had an entire aisle dedicated to ramen. I thought it was pretty funny. I had originally intended to pick up a ramen just in case.... but since I can't read Korean yet... I had no idea which ramen to get, nor what the differences between them were... O_O



No comments:
Post a Comment