Things I miss about the US (besides the obvious family, friends and pets):
1. Clothing dryers! I think I mentioned this before, but Korea mostly air dries their clothes, not due to lack of technology (anything but!), but due to lack of space. I never knew how much I relied on dryers until now. I thought it wouldn't be such a big deal to me, but the clothes I've dried so far have been really stiff and had a bunch of lint on them... O_O There's a 24 hour laundromat that is just like the ones in the states except they are all commercial size. So it costs more to do laundry there too. I just tried doing laundry there today and it costs W4,500 to do one load. Mega-expensive. Next time I'll do a MUCH bigger load.
2. My car. I don't mind walking everywhere, but I start to miss having my car when I need to buy groceries or anything else bulky. If I buy something of that nature (blankets, large bags of rice, pretty much any liquid), I have to carry it all the way home. Which, as you can imagine, gets tiring pretty quickly. I really do miss my car even besides that, and regret selling it, even if it was the most financially responsible decision. Oh well. I can always buy a new one *wink*
I don't miss dishwashers since I don't use that many dishes anyway and never minded handwashing dishes before either.
Things I wish the US had:
1. Street food. Glorious street food. 'nuff said.
2. Ondol floor heating. Works awesome. There's a reason Koreans slept on the floor for decades and still do. The ondol in my room doesn't work as great as it could though... I think it's because my room wasn't originally intended to be a bedroom. Why do I think this? There's an exit sign above my door. O_O
3. Old Culture. I only say this because I just spent almost all 21 classes explaining why Americans don't have "traditional outfits". Otherwise I wouldn't care.
I'm sure there's more for both categories, but that's all for tonight.
Hey. I just posted this message on Facebook, please let me know!!!
"Hey Friends! If you are or know a teacher who would be interested in the following, please let me know ASAP! I am looking for a teacher in America (any subject) that teaches elementary students (perferably) who would be interested in exchanging letters, photos and perhaps even Skyping someday with Korean students. If you know somewhere else I can also post to look for someone, that would be appreciated as well. Thanks for your help!"
No comments:
Post a Comment