Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Embarrassment of student... Complete!

So... It's late and I DO have a lot to say, but I just wanted to tell you about something that happened today.

So... Once, a long, long time ago... Just kidding. Back when I gave my introduction (the second week of March) I had one student ask me a kind of random question about blue holes. He said he had heard about blue hole caves that "a lot of people died at". He thought it was in the US. I told him that I didn't think they were in the US, I suspected Central America but didn't know exactly, but I told him I would look it up and tell him later. I wrote it down and told myself to look it up and tell him about it later.

Well, I forgot. At least last week. It's sometimes hard to believe I haven't been teaching for very long. It feels like months! Anyway. I remembered this week and made a very short powerpoint about blue holes and blue hole caverns. I told him at the beginning of class that I had researched them, but he didn't seem to understand. So instead I showed the powerpoint to his class (and only his class) and asked if that answered his question. His face got really red. I actually felt bad that I essentially singled him out in class, but my coteacher said it was probably because, out of 500+ students that I have, he felt "touched" (her words) that I would remember. I hope that's what it was and not "I can't believe she's singling me out!" But it was a pretty cute moment. Now... to memorize all of their names so that when they say "Hi Jodi-teacher!" I can respond with "Hello <insert name here>!" We'll see how that goes though... So far... I think I have three students down... and that's only when they're sitting in the classroom. Who knows if I can remember OUTSIDE the classroom...

No comments:

Post a Comment