So... snacks! I haven't been super adventurous lately since 1) I'm cheap... I don't get paid for at least another month, and 2) I've been sick... This makes me less adventurous the whole way around... LOL.
But when I visited my coordinator last week to hand in my time card, she offered me snacks... These!
I don't know what exactly they are, except to say they taste kind of like caramel popcorn and the texture is like eating rice cakes... I think. Let me know if you ever want to try and I can send them your way!
Also, one of my American friends had sun chips the other day, and I noticed them in the aisle I found the above snacks in. I couldn't resist since I know I love the American version.
Well, the final countdown has commenced and it's kind of weird to think that I will be elsewhere in a couple of weeks. I don't know where still, but I know it's not going to be here. There are a lot of things I'm happy to be leaving, but a lot of things that I will miss.
One of the things I will most miss are my students. It's weird to think that, starting tomorrow, I will have only two classes left with all of my students. Next week will be my last full week here, and starting Wednesday, February 20th, I will no longer be taking Korean classes or teaching English classes. For a while at least.
Apparently February 20th is the day the 7-year-olds (I think Korean age 7-year-olds) "graduate" and move on to Elementary school (from daycare/nursery). My best guess is that this is the Korean equivalent of Fifth grade graduation... I wonder what they do at the end of Elementary school?... Anyway, I'm kind of sad that I will miss that. I told the school that I was leaving on February 20th (BTW, Holt still hadn't told them anything... so this I'm sure was like having a bomb dropped on them) and they were very sad. They also said the kids would be sad because they really like me... :***( So I'm going to give all of my classes "Maichu" (pronounced My-choo) tomorrow which apparently is a very popular caramel-like candy. I haven't had any, but that's what I was told when I asked my Korean co-teacher what treats kids like. My last day I think I will give them an American penny. :D
Maichu! Bless you! LOL.
I thought I'd share a story about one of my favorite classes.... So, I've been teaching them about morning routines... Well, I have some "flashcards" for the morning routines which engages the students with pictures of the actions taking place. There's a girl brushing her teeth, a boy waking up, a cat eating breakfast, and a gorilla taking a shower, among others. Well, just take a wild guess which card is the undisputed favorite card among my 7-year-olds? You guessed it. "GORILLA SHOWER"!!!! LOL. NO. Gorilla is TAKING A SHOWER. ... ... <thinks> ... <thinks> ... "GORILLA SHOWER!!!!"... LOL. Anyway, the "flashcards" are actually made for playing uno, so there are 5 different colors of each of the different actions. Well, I asked them to each pick a few cards and move around the room, basically playing go fish/matching. They did really well. My kids are super smart :D Anyway, when I got home I discovered 3 of my cards were missing... And 2 of those three were GORILLA SHOWER... *sigh* So, I thought the kids had kept them and I would never see them again... I was debating on whether or not I really cared enough to buy a new deck or if I would just use it for the vocabulary... Well, I walked in yesterday and they told me that I had forgotten 3 cards... O_O ... I feel bad that I thought wrongly of them, but it all goes to show: Korea is awesome. I've heard you can leave pretty much anything lying around and it won't get touched, for instance, a laptop at a cafe... I'm not trusting enough to test that out, but it is amazing how safe everything is here.
Anyway. All other things aside for the moment. I'm sick. AGAIN. Grrrr.... Apparently this phenomenon has been dubbed the "Foreigner's flu" and makes sense considering I'm in a whole new country with loads of new and untested germs... Not to mention the millions of people swarming around, coughing on stuff, etc.... Sucks, but I'm glad that it happened before I start my full time position. I just hope I get completely better before it starts too... O_O
Let me know if there's ever anything you're curious about! I haven't visited the Dog cafe, but I visited the cat cafe with Kyle... I don't know if I posted about that or not. If I didn't, then I may upload pictures of that place at a later date, as I think I'm going to take more cold medicine and go to sleep.
잘자요! (pronounced, "jal-ja-yo." Good night, literally "Sleep well.")



No comments:
Post a Comment